Difficulty changes (WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY!)

Stuff we think you need to know.

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Difficulty changes (WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY!)

Unread post by Gobberwart » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:01 pm

Thought I'd take a quick minute to explain exactly WHY we've made this whole zone so much harder than it was. Basically, the dev team is working on a series of zones and quests that will come into the game BEFORE the DQS labs/Legion quest. We debated moving it slightly as we added new stuff, but decided that a single large change was better than half a dozen small ones and so it's been moved to about the difficulty level it will be at once the new stuff is in place.

That's actually not a bad thing. Sure, it means 1-day resets will be... well, I won't say impossible, but definitely more difficult, but it also means that there's somewhere to get decent stat gains for higher levels and that there's a bit more of a challenge. Sure there's no new content between the Ants in a Park quest and the Legion quest (yet, but it's being developed) but you're going to need to work out how to get yourself tough enough to take on Legion and his mates so...

Well, we hope you enjoy the challenge.

Oh, a quick note about leaderboards: Nothing's changing for the minute, but we MAY end up archiving the current boards and setting up new ones for the harder legion... Or we might leave it until all the quests are in place. Let us know in the forums if you want new boards.

EDIT: I've unlocked this forum, so reply away :)

SportGuy
Forum Addict

Re: Difficulty changes (WARNING! SPOILERS AHOY!)

Unread post by SportGuy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:42 am

Three words: NEW BOARDS PLEASE. In case no one was aware of it, I'm 500% satisfied with this change. :D

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:00 pm

I also tend to agree (on reflection) that leaderboards will probably be a good thing, so I'll add a set in later. As far as criteria go, all runs started before the change was made will show on the old boards and all runs started after the change will appear on the new ones. Apologies to anyone who was half-way through a run when the change was made but them's the breaks during alpha.

For the time being I'll leave all the old reset leaderboards untouched, but at some point they'll probably be archived somewhere to prevent confusion (they'll still be viewable, just not on the main pages). I'll also give fair warning that disabled accounts (ie. Invisible, sponge_bob) will be appearing in the boards again because, even though the accounts are currently disabled, they have not been deleted and those records still count.

Topic author
Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:13 pm

Ok, I've decided that I'm actually going to create a separate "archive" leaderboard page for anything that's no longer achievable, and have the main leaderboard pages show only what's current. Unfortunately this isn't something I can do quickly so there's going to be a slight delay while I write new scripts and stuff. It'll only be a day or two.

Additionally, the items that drop from the revamped zone need to be modified so that their attributes (including autosell price) properly reflect the level the items came from. As fair warning, if you have some of this stuff and you're planning to autosell it, I'd advise hanging onto it until this is done.