Paradox Prattle........ its a daily thing

Talk about any non-gameplay-related happenings in the Paradox community (including chat).

Moderator: Public Forum Moderators

HamanKarn
Forum Poster

Re: Paradox Prattle........ its a daily thing

Unread post by HamanKarn » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:11 pm

I'm still here, as well. Has it been so long since I last logged in?

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:30 pm

Ham!! xoxoxox :D

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Thu Jan 16, 2014 10:49 am

I am in chat, DJing tonight, if anyone wants to pop in :)

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:47 pm

mmmm, PoP! :D

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:41 pm

So I've got this big, huge bulky keyboard (Logitech Y-BE22, with all those extra, useless "media" buttons) for my computer. We had an extra (generic) keyboard at my office so I snagged it and took it home to use it instead. Unfortunately, with the new keyboard, as I am typing if I make a mistake, it looks like thsi\\is.

sigh.

The stupid keyboard doesn't have a double-wide backspace key. Instead, it has the pipe/foreslash key next to it with ginormous double-high Enter key. And can't work with that; had to go back to the old keyboard.

This whole situation made me think of the dos and do nots of keyboard design:

1. DO NOT make keyboards without double-wide backspace keys! Nobody needs an Enter key that big.
2. DO NOT make "mushy" keys that need to pressed down right square in the center to register. Unless you hunt & peck; knock yourself out.
3. DO NOT change the layout of the IDHEPP (Insert/Delete/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn) keys!! (Or IHPDEP, depending on how you look at them) They've been that way since forever, don't fuck it up now! (Google the Logitech 600 to see what I mean)
4. DO NOT get rid of the break key!! I know it's completely useless, but I need it to quickly view my system information (Windows key + Break)
5. DO make sure there are goddamn fucking LEDs on the keyboard to indicate the NumLock and/or Caps Lock status. Fuck. This isn't rocket science, people.
6. DO NOT make little half-sized arrow keys below the right shift key. Unless you have no intention of playing any games. Ever.
7. DO NOT move the little nubs on the F and J keys (index fingers) to the D and K keys. Seriously, why the fuck do designers think it's a good idea to change the way shit's been done after all these years!?
8. DO NOT fill in the open area between the aforementioned IDHEPP and arrow keys with bullshit keys. For the same reason as #6.
9. Basically, just DO keep making keyboards the same way they've always been made. Stop fucking them up. Seriously. Thank you.

That's all I can think of for now. I'm sure there's more out there, but probably just not as notable as these.
Gobberwart wrote:Jupider is EXACTLY right.
"In the time of war, we would never have left a man stranded."
"Maybe that's why we lost."

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:13 pm

oh very true, jupider, very true... lol

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:44 am

DOUBLE FIGURES IN CHAT TODAY!!

Yup, you see right :D

SOMETHING is "happening"............. for those that were not there, keep your eye on the site/forums.

It was great to see friends, listen to rfx and tell bad jokes 8)

I always thought that the site WASNT still here for nothing................. just sayin' :wink:

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:57 pm

Pokes his head about an sniffs the air...

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:14 pm

SOMETHING is indeed "happening"... As soon as I figure out what it is, exactly, you'll be the... I dunno, fifth or sixth to know? Maybe ninth. I expect I'll be about the third :)

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:55 pm

Just as a side note, I've got the next section of Pine Haven outlined and just need the time to sit down and type it out. Stay tuned...

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:06 pm

Yay!

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:15 am

It took 5 long years...............

There you are, going about your business, when all of a sudden a courier van pulls up next to you.

A guy gets out and rushes towards you. "Are you Sallyfox?" he asks.

"Ah, yeah," you reply, scratching your head and wondering why this guy knows who you are and how he knew to find you here.

"Excellent!" he says, "It's been tough trying to find you."

He shoves a clipboard in your face, saying "Sign here please."

You sign your name and he whips the clipboard away, handing you instead a shiny golden envelope with your name printed on it.

You immediately tear it open to find a letter telling you that you've been randomly selected as the winner in the latest Paradox City lottery, in the amount of... no, wait, that can't be right... You apparently just won A MILLION MOOLAH! Sweet!

Looks like that gypsy knew what it was talking about after all.
Rewards
You gain 1,000,000 moolah.
You now have 1,140,173

So far this year Ive got a "yup" and a million moolah :)

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:22 am

:D that's awesome

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:59 pm

LordCretin saddles up beside the foxy bunny ears and LEErz at all those shinies
...puFFz on his d00bie

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:10 am

'Gratz. I got the 5k the other day. Can't remember my highest winnings.

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:35 pm

Okay. There was this HUGE FUCKING SURGE of activity about a week ago. Gobb was there. Most of the devs were there. I think even Pinky made an appearance. I got psyched. I even FUCKING DONATED. And now what??? Everyone just dropped of the face of the fucking Earth!? Was there just some collective "Hey, let's get something done!" and then everyone wandered back off to their respective holes in the corner of the Internet!?

What are we afraid of?

Where did the community go?

If we want this game to continue, it's going to take more than just Gobb and the devs. It's going to take EVERY-FUCKING-BODY!!!!!

Get off your lazy fucking asses and take some action!! Be noticed! Log in! Post! FUCKING DONATE!!!

Do something that's going to make a difference. Don't wait for something to happen. MAKE something happen.

Fuck.

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:48 pm

Take out all the "f" words from the above post, and I agree............

The Devs had a meeting last weekend, and I daresay, are going about their plans........... Pointless posting anything about pipeline stuff till its acctually rolled out I guess.............

Yeah, its up to the community to create momentum, and without consistancy it amounts to little..........

Thru the logs, I see more people around, but unfortunately, not enough to translate into working chat groups. If more of us attended here a little more often and a little bit longer, the result would be heartening to say the least.

If you wanna fight for the right to party, at least be seen round the venue (here) Devs can only do so much........ the rest (as Jup so delicately put it) is up to all of us.........

Dont wait.......... participate :)

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:33 am

Oh.......btw

Its worth pointing out that donating during the quiet times is worth it. You do get a certificate of appreciation with each token, and they are tradeable/redeemable............remember they are only available for the meanwhile, cause when things start to pop round here, they WILL be withdrawn.........so look at em as limited edition stuff........... if your here for the long haul, you will know how helpful it is to gobb and co to have some real support.........

And yeah, I have just donated again........... :D

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:46 pm

Friday night. Stuck at work. In another state. No end in sight.

sigh.

Oh well, I guess it could always we worse.

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:20 am

I would donate but I don't have paypal :oops:

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sun Feb 23, 2014 6:36 pm

Hmmmm..........

I wonder if there are any other payment options?? Suggestions anyone?? :?

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:25 am

Snail mail?

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:39 pm

Wow......... I would NEVER have thought of that! :shock:

Does anyone even do that anymore? :P

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:10 pm

I have a debit card... lol

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

Sorry people, last week was pretty much a hectic week for me. My mother has been diagnosed with colon cancer, she is down in Arkansas, which is a 15 hour drive one way for me and I have not been able to get down there at all, but I have been on the phone with her constantly all week. She had surgery Sat. to put the port in for the chemotherapy, today she is seeing the radiologists for getting things started with radiation therapy. Saturday, my cousin's 19 year old son was being a fucking idiot and decided he could out run the police on his motorcycle and ended up going under a Tahoe truck and is on life support with a broken neck and other serious injuries after being life flighted away and none of us have any clue why he did it. This last week I had doctor's appointments myself, getting me prepped for a few procedures, my stress levels are through the roof right now, bad enough my doctor put me on a higher dosage of insulin and now taking it twice a day and I HATE needles. I really cannot wait until my surgeries are over and my mom beats this cancer like she did cervical cancer 15 years ago and I am happy that things are progressing here again, and I will do my best to be on the air Thursday, but due to other events, I will not be on the air tonight, I love you guys, I miss you guys, it was amazing seeing you all and I am going to come right out and say it here, I consider all of you my internet family, you guys are the most amazing people and some of the most quirky (but in good ways), and I love ya, all of ya.

Soda

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 9:30 am

I'm so sorry, hope everything turns out ok :(

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:26 am

Thanks cowboy, they told her she has a 95-98% survivability rate with this treatment, so fingers crossed, she is just stressing out so much and my dad is too.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:00 pm

Just wanted to say guys that Grokly, ElljaeT, Ragazi and I have all been really busy behind the scenes here. We haven't been in chat because.. well, that's not getting anything actually developed, but we're making stuff happen, and we expect to have new stuff online very soon. Useful stuff, as opposed to "event" type stuff, which is good.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to actually help then... yeah, donations are great, as is being active in the game and in chat, because the main thing is keeping people coming in to see the new stuff when it arrives.

Options for donating... Paypal at the moment. Snail mail, not so much. It costs money to set up an address other than someone's personal address and we just don't have it right now, sorry. Maybe someone can help someone else out?

On the plus side, we got enough last month to cover this month's $40 hosting fee. Thanks guys :)

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:02 pm

sodafett wrote:Sorry people, last week was pretty much a hectic week for me. My mother has been diagnosed with colon cancer, she is down in Arkansas, which is a 15 hour drive one way for me and I have not been able to get down there at all, but I have been on the phone with her constantly all week. She had surgery Sat. to put the port in for the chemotherapy, today she is seeing the radiologists for getting things started with radiation therapy. Saturday, my cousin's 19 year old son was being a fucking idiot and decided he could out run the police on his motorcycle and ended up going under a Tahoe truck and is on life support with a broken neck and other serious injuries after being life flighted away and none of us have any clue why he did it. This last week I had doctor's appointments myself, getting me prepped for a few procedures, my stress levels are through the roof right now, bad enough my doctor put me on a higher dosage of insulin and now taking it twice a day and I HATE needles. I really cannot wait until my surgeries are over and my mom beats this cancer like she did cervical cancer 15 years ago and I am happy that things are progressing here again, and I will do my best to be on the air Thursday, but due to other events, I will not be on the air tonight, I love you guys, I miss you guys, it was amazing seeing you all and I am going to come right out and say it here, I consider all of you my internet family, you guys are the most amazing people and some of the most quirky (but in good ways), and I love ya, all of ya.

Soda
Thought I'd address this one separately.

I'm really sorry, mate. Hope everything works out for you and your family. My thoughts are with you and yours. Take care man <3

sodafett
Chat Moderator

Unread post by sodafett » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:16 pm

Gobberwart wrote:
sodafett wrote:Sorry people, last week was pretty much a hectic week for me. My mother has been diagnosed with colon cancer, she is down in Arkansas, which is a 15 hour drive one way for me and I have not been able to get down there at all, but I have been on the phone with her constantly all week. She had surgery Sat. to put the port in for the chemotherapy, today she is seeing the radiologists for getting things started with radiation therapy. Saturday, my cousin's 19 year old son was being a fucking idiot and decided he could out run the police on his motorcycle and ended up going under a Tahoe truck and is on life support with a broken neck and other serious injuries after being life flighted away and none of us have any clue why he did it. This last week I had doctor's appointments myself, getting me prepped for a few procedures, my stress levels are through the roof right now, bad enough my doctor put me on a higher dosage of insulin and now taking it twice a day and I HATE needles. I really cannot wait until my surgeries are over and my mom beats this cancer like she did cervical cancer 15 years ago and I am happy that things are progressing here again, and I will do my best to be on the air Thursday, but due to other events, I will not be on the air tonight, I love you guys, I miss you guys, it was amazing seeing you all and I am going to come right out and say it here, I consider all of you my internet family, you guys are the most amazing people and some of the most quirky (but in good ways), and I love ya, all of ya.

Soda
Thought I'd address this one separately.

I'm really sorry, mate. Hope everything works out for you and your family. My thoughts are with you and yours. Take care man <3

Thanks Gobb, I appreciate it, and can't wait for things to clear up for everyone and as an update for everyone, my cousin didn't make it, I was misinformed on Sunday when I was told he was on life support, they were only keeping him there so they could harvest his organs for transplants and I am hoping the people that received them are having speedy recoveries and live very long and happy, healthy lives. My mom starts her chemo and radiation treatments on the 10th and she is sounding tired, but positive about it, so I am doing my best to keep a positive outlook on it all :) trying to continue to be the Soda everyone knows and loves.

Gobberwart
Developer

Unread post by Gobberwart » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:27 pm

sodafett wrote:
Gobberwart wrote:
sodafett wrote:Thanks Gobb, I appreciate it, and can't wait for things to clear up for everyone and as an update for everyone, my cousin didn't make it, I was misinformed on Sunday when I was told he was on life support, they were only keeping him there so they could harvest his organs for transplants and I am hoping the people that received them are having speedy recoveries and live very long and happy, healthy lives. My mom starts her chemo and radiation treatments on the 10th and she is sounding tired, but positive about it, so I am doing my best to keep a positive outlook on it all :) trying to continue to be the Soda everyone knows and loves.
Awww shit. As you probably know, I ride a motorcycle, so that hits me close to home. I'm sad that you've lost someone, but pleased to hear he's donated his organs to people who need them. Small comfort I know.

Keep your chin up, mate, and know there are people around who care.

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:58 am

...Paulie and Caoimhin send a tray of piping-hot fresh-baked weirdly paradoxical cakes 'n pies to Soda, with lashings of hugs 'n kisses.

When love and loss
Lost mind and mass
While second cousin's givings grow
Dark-bright dreamings shadows show
Faith to follow future's flow

The Paradox is set to go

Professors, players, devs'n monsters
Raise a claw/paw/hand and holler
Support for DJ Soda's Mother
With Paracitical psionics
And not a touch of histrionics

(oh... no... yea... wAAdevAAAH!)

Send humanistic thoughts bombastic
Weaved betwix' wrought rhymes eccentric

Mrs Mum, we wish you well
Know in us, is your goodwill

Rokk 0n, BAAAABY!

(whispers)
psst...
Soda...
...that reeferchaun who lives in the possessed dumpster keeps staring at your box
of needles. I don't think he's being entirely altruistic.

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:54 pm

and so say all of us.............. xoxox

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:13 am

Hmmmm.........

Is the FB page stealing forum traffic?

Seems weirdly quiet here............. :shock:

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Tue Mar 11, 2014 9:01 am

Don't know. I don't do FB. And even if I did, I wouldn't do it with Paradox for exactly this reason. Defeats the purpose of the forums.

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:27 pm

Great minds Jup. :)

I was just thinking along those very lines..................

Still, I guess if fb attracts peoples, thats a good thing. I just hope someone suggests that this should be their very next stop........... :D

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:27 am

Anyone one feel the hum of life round here? :D

Feel free to hum here too......I wanna hear from some of the long lost :lol:

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:49 am

hold me closer tiny dancerrrr
count the headlights on the hiiiighway
lay me down in sheets of linennn
you had a busy day todayyy

*hums*

I have a feeling that kind of hum is not what you had in mind, though...

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:20 pm

Nice try though..........

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:59 pm

Geeze its ded in forums...............

If I was to say "HUGE CHAT EVENT COMING", loudly enough, would it wake the sleeping??

If any one is awake, check the horizon for a build up of rolling cloud.................

LordCretin
Forum Addict

Unread post by LordCretin » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:41 am

/me runs past wearing only a lampshade, sipping on a tall DRY! martini, smoking a smuggled Cuban and singing Candyman.
Pack it Rats!

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:14 am

For now, I do know of a competition running in events forum............ 8)

jimmyBUFFET
Forum Addict

Unread post by jimmyBUFFET » Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:05 am

if we're sleeping, do snores count as humming?

-jB

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:18 am

Good enough :D

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:24 pm

Ooooh! Ooooh!! :shock:

Over the holiday content weekend,( THIS WEEKEND) Commandermack will be in chat giving out willy wonka like tickets for his raffle extravaganza! (see contest/event thread for details)

Other things Im SURE will happen over this period, so get in there, support the holiday and the Commander, have some good times, and score some cool prizes :D

Cowboy
Forum Addict

Unread post by Cowboy » Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:56 pm

What's the deal with the update today?

Topic author
sallyfox
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by sallyfox » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:16 am

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?:

jupider
Senior Chat Moderator

Unread post by jupider » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:17 pm

I miss the Wheel of Fortune when Vanna used to actually turn the boxes to reveal the letters. Now her role is just pointless and idiotic.

Executive A: We've updated the game board to use small screens for each letter instead of those goofy boxes.
Executive B: Good. Now we can get rid of whats-her-face and save a little money.
Executive A: Actually, we can't. She's locked into a lifetime contract. If we get rid of her, we'll have to give her about 13.8 million dollars.
Executive B: Well, what the hell is she going to do then? Walk back and forth and tap the screens to show the letters?
Executive A: God I hope not, that would be stupid.
Executive B: Yup.

commandermack
Chat Moderator

Unread post by commandermack » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:04 pm

I agree all the way up to, " God I Hope Not ". They probably thought... Damn skippy, it's in her contract to touch those letters and that's just what she'll do....